In the previous article I discussed godliness and defined it as the state or quality of being like God, based on a lifestyle that reflects his character. In this article I will share 10 ways to grow in godliness.
1. Ask for God’s help. If you ask, God will answer. In fact, he will be delighted at your request for his help to become more like him. Jesus wants us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect (Matthew 5:48). He also promised to grant us whatever we ask in his name. I believe that once our request is in keeping with God’s will for us, he will grant it. Therefore, in the name of Jesus, ask God to help you grow in godliness.
Set a goal to grow in godliness
2. Set a daily goal to grow in godliness. It is said that whatever we focus on expands, and in my experience, this is true. If you set a goal to grow in godliness, and act on it every day, by the grace of God, you will achieve your goal.
3. Study the life of Jesus and follow him. Spend time reading your Bible and learning more about Jesus every day. There is much we can learn about him that can help you grow in godliness. Jesus Christ is our example (1 Peter 2:21-25) and the best example to follow.
Be careful what you think, say, and do
4. Be careful what you think. Guard your thoughts. Think holy thoughts, and think as the Apostle Paul advised. “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8).
5. Think before you speak. “Life and death are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21). Our thoughts and words are very powerful, and we cannot take back the spoken word. Use your words to praise God, help yourself, bless others and for good, constructive purposes.
6. Think before you act. “Wise people think before they act.” (Proverbs 13:16-25). Ask yourself, “Would what I am about to do please God?” If so, then do it. If not, then don’t. Remember God knows and see everything we do. “Whatever you do….do it all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).
7. Watch out for temptation. Our adversary the devil goes about like a roaring lion seeking who he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). Remember that evil spirit acts subtly and often does so through people who are not even aware of what is happening in, through, and to them and others. Therefore, be alert!
Grow in godliness with fellowship and love
8. Live in love with God and others. The two greatest commandments are to love God and others. When we focus on love and live in love, we will grow in godliness and make more progress as Christians.
9. Fellowship with godly people. As the Apostle Paul advised, do not forsake fellowshipping with other believers (Hebrews 10:25). The people we associate with influence us. Go to church and Christian events and build friendships with godly people.
10. Devote your life to God. He created us for his glory and loves us unconditionally. The least we can do is live a life pleasing to him and love him and the people he created. The best life you can live is one devoted to God where you live consciously and lovingly with him and others.
How will you grow in godliness?
So today, and every day, aim to grow in godliness. Set a goal to grow in godliness during the next year and beyond. Live in such a way that this time next year, when you look back, you will notice that you have grown in godliness. What do you find most helpful in growing in godliness? How will you grow in godliness? Please share.
I wish you and the special people in your life a blessed Christmas and God’s richest blessings for the New Year and beyond! Let us grow in godliness and make more progress as Christians.